Re: Hypermedia - Why

On 25/07/2012 13:10, Rushforth, Peter wrote:
> I think XML needs hypermedia affordance vowels, so that as a web
> software developer, I can define a domain-specific vocabulary in any
>  subset of the XML family of specifications, using the
> domain-agnostic hypermedia vowels in my hypermedia affordances, and
> web component developers, especially clients, will be able to rely
> on the definitions of the vowels and write their software to take
> advantage of the architectural style of the web, including URIs,
> content negotiation / representations, meaningful media types in
> message headers, and obviously, hypertext as the engine of
> application state. In the latter case, application/xml could be
> enough for a hypermedia application, whereas today, it is not
> sufficient because there is no hypermedia implied by that media
> type.

I still don't think that "why" description says enough. If it is for the
web are you expecting web browsers to implement this? (That seems
unlikely, and if that is a requirement you need to get them on board
sooner rather than later). If it is for encoding hypertext why is it
important to have a domain-agnostic markup for a link but not for a
paragraph?

There needs to be at least one use case where having this helps and
would work better (or even as well as) using xhtml and the link markup.

David