RE: use cases

David,

Having substantially re-written the use case here to not refer to the XML namespace

http://www.w3.org/community/xmlhypermedia/wiki/Distributed_extensibility_/_automatic_namespaces

(I may have misinterpreted your comment below), and now reviewing it, I actually
don't think that what is outlined there would work with just *any* namespace:
the namespace has to be special and unique (http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace) and has to 'go no further' ie it refers to iteself at the top of the hierarchy.

To try to clarify, I tried to put the hypermedia vowels in just any namespace (like Xlink does).  So far, no problem.

However, when I refer to the autonamespace resource representation from the root element of the
ScotchML representation, like this:

<SingleMalts href="http://scotch.org/ScotchML" rel="ns" type="application/namespaces+xml">

I now don't believe that reference is enough to tell the client that href means foo:href, for two
reasons.

1) the uri http://scotch.org/ScotchML is not the URI of the definition namespace of foo:href, so
in and of itself is not enough to tell the client that href means
{http://example.com/namespaces/hypermedia}href (Clark notation for foo:href).  So, this relies on the
assumption/common knowledge that href means foo:href, which might not be valid because it might actually be mapped to something else in the namespace representation actually at http://scotch.org/ScotchML.

2) Having @rel="ns" and @type="application/namespaces+xml" would still be necessary for the XML namespace
for the reason that the resource at http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace

In short, I'm going to change the example back to use http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace.

David C.:
I still don't see where I'm putting attributes into a namespace where they don't have one to begin with.

Any comments from the hypermedia side of the house appreciated too.

Cheers,
Peter