Re: versioning question

Serkant,

> I'm writing my master thesis on versioning of XML
> documents, especially OpenOffice-files.

It is good to see that you are looking at the versioning of XML documents.

Unfortunately, you are trying to solve a very different
versioning problem from what this mailing list is looking
at.  You are trying to just detect the differences between
two instances of XML documents. The versioning problem that
we are looking at is what happens when there are two
versions of the schemas that describe XML instances.

> Up to now, I tested several diff algorithms and I'm trying
> to figure out, whether it is possible to implement one of
> them into subversion. The problems I see are:
>   - the delta of the xml-diff has another format (but it's still an
>     xml-file)
>   - the xml-diff can't handle three-way merges
>   - up to now, you can't check whether two deltas commutate
>     (however, this should be solveable)

It sounds like you are talking about a specific program that
does XML differencing (and not about an "algorithm"). There
are a number of different programs that can do this, and
a different program may have different features.

> My main questions are:
> - is it possible to change subversions' diff-algorithm at all? Jim Blandy et
>   al. mention a client side diff-plugin support which should be implemented
>   after 1.0. Where can I find more information about it?
> - where would be the best point to start implementation?

Sorry, we are not able to help you, because this mailing
list is not about subversion.  It would be more appropriate
to ask these types of questions to the subversion
development mailing list.

Hoylen
hoylen@hoylen.com                     http://www.hoylen.com/