substitution-groups.testSet and DTDs

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 10:40:54 +0100
To: public-xml-schema-testsuite@w3.org
I noticed a significant delay while running the new
substitution-groups.testSet through my test driver. On analysis, this is
caused by the reference to
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/DTD/xhtml-basic11.dtd contained in
./ancillary/xhtml-for-annotation.dtd.

The problem of fetching DTDs from the W3C site is of course well known,
and the circumventions well-documented. But people implementing XSD test
drivers have got better things to do than writing catalog files to
reduce W3C web traffic. I wonder if it's really necessary for the
testSet file to use a DTD, and if so, whether it's really necessary for
it to be remote?

Michael Kay
Saxonica