Versions and optional features

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 12:52:33 +0100
To: public-xml-schema-testsuite@w3.org
The markup of version dependencies in the test suite is working well
according to the rules in the new schema.

In the Saxonica tests there is a test set VC which is designed to test
the use of vc:minVersion, vc:maxVersion etc attributes. Some of these
tests are appropriate for running using either (a) an XSD 1.1 processor,
or (b) an XSD 1.0 processor together with a VC preprocessor. In some
cases the results are the same for these two scenarios, in other cases
they are different.

I'm inclined now to develop MSpMcQ's suggestion (or my interpretation of
it), of having named scenarios, and using these in the version attribute
in the same way as we use simple version numbers 1.0 and 1.1. So
"1.0+VC" becomes a named scenario, and we describe tests or expected
results applicable to this scenario as version="1.0+VC". And we should
define these scenarios within the metadata itself (perhaps at testSuite
level): something like:

<scenarios>
<scenario name="1.0+VC">
<feature name="xsd-version" value="1.0"/>
<feature name="vc-preprocessing" value="true"/>
</scenario>
</scenarios>

(Of course, since the test suite is fairly stable, someone writing a
test driver could choose to hard-code the definitions of the scenarios
in their test driver rather than intepreting this data, but that's their
choice.)

Does that make sense as a direction?

Michael Kay
Saxonica