RE: Shadowing of options/variables

From: Toman, Vojtech <vojtech.toman@emc.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 03:47:54 -0500
To: "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
CC: "public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org" <public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org>
> > But you be able to do this:

> > The key point about section 3.2 is that it forbids declaring
> > options/variables with the same name *in the same environment*, but
> > not in different environments.
>
> There's an ambiguity that was the source of my confusion, and that I'm
> still concerned about:  the environment is a _data structure_, and the
> environment of the p:group in the above example has a binding for 'foo'
> in it from the p:option.  So I thought the first quote above would rule
> out the shadowing.
>
> If OTOH you read 'environment' as naming a region of the XML tree,
> rooted in the p:group element, then the problem doesn't arise. . .

I must admit I hit the same thing. There indeed is potential ambiguity there as different people may interpret

"It is a static error (err:XS0004) if an option or variable declaration duplicates the name of any other option or variable in the same environment"

differently. I think the intended way to read the "in the same environment" is "in the very same instance of the environment data structure". In that sense the environment op the p:pipeline and the p:group are different entities. Yes, they share some bindings, but they are different environments.

Vojtech

--
Vojtech Toman
Consultant Software Engineer