redux - reading ports from xpath

From: James Fuller <jim@webcomposite.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 00:24:58 +0200
To: XProc WG <public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org>
Hello Norm,

This was brought to my attention by Romain Deltour,

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xproc-dev/2013Feb/0028.html

which was a post by your good self, summarising the issues revolving
around the spec/impl of
a p:read-port function.

As I am implementing a resource manager approach, I had envisaged
something along the lines of internal URI with maybe a full blown
scheme

    xproc://pipeline/step/port

(weak strawman, but you get the gist)

Which could then be referenced wherever a URI can be, eg p:document
(which would be somewhat strange/redundant) but more appropriately
fn:doc().

I did not think think anywhere near as far as you did in your analysis
but am interested if

I) we should talk more about this for possible inclusion vnext

II) the idea of URI reference (though I would like to avoid expanding
this into full blown resource manager  to me this is an impl detail)