W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org > May 2012

XProc Minutes 31 May 2012

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 10:40:00 -0400
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org
Message-ID: <m2ehq0fm7z.fsf@nwalsh.com>
See http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2012/05/31-minutes


                                   - DRAFT -

                            XML Processing Model WG

31 May 2012


   See also: [3]IRC log


           Norm, Alex, Murray, Henry, Cornelia

           Vojtech, Jim, Mohamed




     * [4]Topics

         1. [5]Accept this agenda?
         2. [6]Accept minutes from the previous meeting?
         3. [7]Next meeting: telcon, 7 June 2012
         4. [8]Review of open action items
         5. [9]Use cases and requirements for V.next
         6. [10]Any other business

     * [11]Summary of Action Items


  Accept this agenda?

   -> [12]http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2012/05/31-agenda


  Accept minutes from the previous meeting?

   -> [13]http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2012/05/24-minutes


  Next meeting: telcon, 7 June 2012

   Regrets from Vojtech

  Review of open action items

   <scribe> No progress

  Use cases and requirements for V.next

   -> [14]http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/docs/langreq-v2.html

   Norm: Murray, what can we do to be helpful?

   Murray: Good question.
   ... It's a big document and there's a lot here, but the organization may
   need work.
   ... Let's start with variables and debugging on p:log.
   ... What information can we get out of the machine for debugging purposes.

   Norm: I have an action to produce a pipeline that does that.

   Murray: Ok, then let's talk about the resource manager
   ... I understand that Norm and Cornelia have a resource manager.

   Norm: I do.

   Cornelia: Vojtech would know.

   Norm outlines his resource manager

   Norm: Basically, it caches generated URIs and returns them in favor of any
   other source if they exist.

   Henry: The Markup Pipeline had a two-part resource manager.
   ... One part is that the RM made available to steps the ability to cache
   infosets or other objects.
   ... We had compiled schemas, compiled stylesheets, and compiled pipelines
   all of which were the results of non-trivial amounts of processing and
   were available from the resource manager.
   ... The schema validator, for example, before it built a schema from
   sources, would check if the RM had the compiled schema.
   ... after a staleness check; Norm, you didn't mention that, we should come
   back to it.
   ... But that doesn't seem like something we need to standardize, it's just
   an implementation issue.
   ... The other part was more like what Norm outlined.
   ... It played a bigger role than what we've talked about today. It really
   did serve as a kind of local filesystem for pipelines.
   ... In particular, this turned out to be useful in steps that produce
   unordered sequences of documents.
   ... A resource manager might figure into the design for how steps that
   produce or consume unordered sequences coordinate on how the decide what's
   ... At the extreme, a RM gives us a very different processing model where
   steps are thought of as producing and consuming named resources.
   ... And other steps can use those resources without plumbing directly
   between steps.
   ... A simple way to put that is: what is the impact of having a resource
   manager on step dependency calculations.

   <scribe> ACTION: Henry to review Markup Pipeline documentation and report
   anything useful he finds [recorded in

   Alex: Is the XSLT import/include case relevant here?

   Norm: Yes, I think that's exactly the same use case.

   Some discussion of caching and resource managers and related issues

   Henry: Have we reached agreement about whether we want to adopt the
   XSLT/XQuery invariant
   ... roughly speaking this says that any given XSLT or XQuery episode does
   gets on URIs exactly once and you always get the same document.

   Norm: Yes, that's correct.
   ... But in XProc we didn't want to make that requirement

   Some discussion of security

   Henry: This is related to the RM and the ability to attach "out of band"
   information to documents.
   ... We've talked about some possible others, like serialization parameters

  Any other business

   Murray: Are we planning a f2f meeting?

   Norm: Yes, at TPAC in Lyon, FR in November, I believe.


Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Henry to review Markup Pipeline documentation and report
   anything useful he finds [recorded in

   [End of minutes]


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [17]scribe.perl version 1.136 ([18]CVS
    $Date: 2012/05/31 14:39:11 $


   1. http://www.w3.org/
   2. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2012/05/31-agenda
   3. http://www.w3.org/2012/05/31-xproc-irc
   4. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2012/05/31-minutes#agenda
   5. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2012/05/31-minutes#item01
   6. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2012/05/31-minutes#item02
   7. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2012/05/31-minutes#item03
   8. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2012/05/31-minutes#item04
   9. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2012/05/31-minutes#item05
  10. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2012/05/31-minutes#item06
  11. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2012/05/31-minutes#ActionSummary
  12. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2012/05/31-agenda
  13. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2012/05/24-minutes
  14. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/docs/langreq-v2.html
  15. http://www.w3.org/2012/05/31-xproc-minutes.html#action01
  16. http://www.w3.org/2012/05/31-xproc-minutes.html#action01
  17. http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
  18. http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

Received on Thursday, 31 May 2012 14:40:35 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 21:32:50 UTC