RE: p:exec and binary result

From: <vojtech.toman@emc.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 02:31:32 -0500
To: <public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org>
> From p:exec, so without an extra flag somewhere, I don't think p:exec
> can do anything useful. (A quick peek at XML Calabash reveals that it
> treats anything that isn't XML as if it was text and attempts to encode
> the bytes.)
>
> I suppose that with a set of "*-as-binary" attributes, the results
> could be base64 encoded (and the input(s) base64 decoded, I suppose).
>
> My two cents:
>
> 1. I think the step is implicitly geared towards text outputs, not
> binary.

Agreed.

>    We don't say anything about binary and "wrap-result-lines" suggests
> pretty
>    strongly that we didn't think about it.

That was my impression as well. I was actually looking for a dynamic error for the case when the result data cannot be represented as text - and was surprised when I found none.

> 2. Even if we had a good story on binary, you'd need some sort of a
> flag
>    to tell the step to treat the result as binary.

That would be the best solution, but a dynamic error on binary data might be OK well.

Regards,
Vojtech

--
Vojtech Toman