Adding profiles with validation

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 11:07:11 +0100
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org

Further to discussion last month, I've looked at this, and I think in
fact the right thing to say is, it's orthogonal.  That is, insofar as
this spec. is focussed on the _information content_ of the data model
constructed per the various profiles, we already cover the _impact_ of
validation (it only affects the [element content whitespace] property
of CIIs) at that level.

On the other hand, I think it would be entirely reasonable to add a
Note to section 6, Conformance, along these lines

 Note: Validation against a DTD or other schema is almost entirely
 orthogonal to the data model concerns this specification addresses.
 It is open to any specification which references this one in a
 conformance statement to include wording requiring (or indeed
 forbidding) validation of one or more varieties.

ht
- --
                Fax: (44) 131 651-1426, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk