XProc processor definition

From: <vojtech.toman@emc.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 04:20:32 -0500
To: <public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org>
Hi all,

See below for my proposal for the definition of an XProc processor, to
be added to section 2 (Pipeline Concepts):

"""
The result of evaluating a pipeline (or subpipeline) is the result of
evaluating the steps that it contains, in an order consistent with the
connections between them. A pipeline must behave as if it evaluated each
step each time it is encountered.

[Definition: The software responsible for evaluating XProc pipelines is
referred to as the processor. This is sometimes expanded to XProc
processor to avoid any confusion with other processors, for example an
XPath processor.]

[Definition: A specific product that performs the functions of an XProc
processor is referred to as an implementation ].

Unless otherwise indicated, implementations must not assume that steps
are functional (that is, that their outputs depend only on their inputs,
options, and parameters) or side-effect free.
"""

I based this on the prose that XSLT 2.0 is using. (Note that the XQuery
and XPath 2.0 specs do not seem to define what an XQuery/XPath processor
is, but are referring to the term quite regularly.)

Vojtech

--
Vojtech Toman
Consultant Software Engineer