Document template test 10

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 10:33:49 -0500
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org
The heart of test 10 is this expression:

There are two possible interpretations:

  "{" "/doc/p" "}"

  "{" "/doc/p}" "}"

The former yields a valid expression, the latter an invalid one.

The problem I have is this case:

  { concat('{{', $foo, '}}') }

There are two possible interpetations here too:

  " concat('{', $foo, '" ... error because there's an unbalanced "}"

  " concat('{', $foo, '}') "

If we say that "}" ends an expression when we're inside one, then the
first expression is valid and the second is not. If we say that "}}"
is matched even when we're inside an expression then the first
expression is invalid and the second is valid.

On the whole, I prefer the latter interpretation. In either case,
there are some sequences of values that cannot be constructed using
the document-template step. We'd have to have more complex parsing
rules to avoid that problem, but I'd rather not.

Lead Engineer
MarkLogic Corporation