WebKit and XML Parsing

From: Alex Milowski <alex@milowski.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 15:24:41 +0100
To: XProc WG <public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org>
Here's what I've been able to determine about WebKit.

WebKit usually uses the libxml2 library.  There is a Qt port that uses
the XML parser provided by Qt and I did not look at or test with the
Qt port.

Here's what I've been able to determine:

* will not read the external subset.
* does read the internal subset and provide any
  attribute normalization as specified per the XML recommendation
  for non-validating parsers.
* does default attributes read in the internal subset.
* does process and xml:base attributes properly
* does not process ID/IDREF to allow DOM's getElementById() to work.
* does not process xml:id attributes to allow DOM's getElementById() to work.
* reports all whitespace as text nodes in the DOM regardless of what is
  in the internal subset.