Re: p:wrap-sequence/group-adjacent

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 16:27:00 +0100
Cc: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org
To: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>

Norm,

On 18 May 2008, at 00:20, Norman Walsh wrote:
> I propose that we say:
>
>  - It is an error if the group-adjacent expression returns a sequence
>  - In an XPath 1.0 impl, the string-values of each expression are
> compared
>  - In an XPath 2.0 impl, the ... uh? atomic value? ... of each expr
> are compared

I agree with the first two. On the last, in XSLT, it says:

"The grouping keys are the items in the sequence obtained by
evaluating the expression contained in the group-by attribute or group-
adjacent attribute, atomizing the result, and then casting an
xs:untypedAtomic value to xs:string."

For XPath 2.0, we should *atomize* the result and cast to a string.
(Taking the atomic value isn't right because elements with complex
content don't have atomic values.)

Cheers,

Jeni
--