Re: Extensibility questions

From: Innovimax SARL <innovimax@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 21:49:50 +0200
To: "Norman Walsh" <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Cc: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 8:44 PM, Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> wrote:
> / "Innovimax SARL" <innovimax@gmail.com> was heard to say:
>  | On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 2:49 PM, Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> wrote:
>
> |>  That use of p:count does not match the signature of p:count.
>  |>
>  |>    [Definition: A step matches its signature if and only if it
>  |>    specifies an input for each declared input, it specifies no inputs
>  |>    that are not declared, it specifies an option for each option that
>  |>    is declared to be required, and it specifies no options that are
>  |>    not declared.] In other words, every input and required option must
>  |>    be specified and only inputs and options that are declared may be
>  |>    specified. Options that aren't required do not have to be
>  |>    specified.
>  | Thanks for the pointer !
>  | Does it mean that there is no constraint on parameters or outputs ?
>
>  You don't get to specify outputs when you call an atomic step, so they
>  aren't really relevant are they?

So it means that if I want to add an alternate output to a step, I can do that

Let's say for example for p:delete, add a "alternate" output for example,
and then in the following step connect its input to alternate

Where will it fail, if it does ?

>  There are no constraints on paramters, beyond the fact that you can
>  only specify them on a step that has (at least one) parameter input
>  port.

Well, if I'm correct, it is said in the spec that
[[
It is a static error (err:XS0034) if the specified port is not a
parameter input port or if no port is specified and the step does not
have a primary parameter input port.
]]
which means that we can bind a parameter port named "foo" since there
is no equivalent of the err:XS0012 for input parameters
[[
it is a static error (err:XS0012) if the port given does not match the
name of an input port specified in the step's declaration.
]]

Mohamed

--
Innovimax SARL