$p:index vs position()

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 12:23:06 -0700
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org
I was reluctant to introduce $p:index in p:label-elements partly
because it seems inconsistent with other steps that use position() for
position in a sequence.

I don't think we can hope to make position() work in p:label-elements,
so I wonder if we should use $p:index in p:split-sequence and other
steps where we need to keep track of the position.

Full disclosure: this question is motivated in part because I don't seem
to be *able* to use position() in p:split-sequence...

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Walking on water and developing
http://nwalsh.com/            | software to specification are easy as