XProc Minutes 24 Jan 2008

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 13:24:47 -0500
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org
See http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2008/01/24-minutes

                                   - DRAFT -

                            XML Processing Model WG

   See also: IRC log[3]

           Alex, Alessandro, Norm, Rui, Richard, Andrew, Mohamed, Henry

     * Topics
         1. Accept this agenda?
         2. Accept minutes from the previous meeting?
         3. Next meeting: telcon 31 January 2008?
         4. 70. Circular imports
         5. 95. XSLT pattern matching in p:viewport
         6. 96. Compound steps with empty subpipelines
         7. 97. p:set-attributes and attributes with xmlns prefix
         8. 98. Typo in p:label-elements
         9. 99. Execution order of steps
        10. Any other business?
     * Summary of Action Items

  Accept this agenda?

   -> http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2008/01/24-agenda

  Accept minutes from the previous meeting?

   -> http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2008/01/17-minutes

  Next meeting: telcon 31 January 2008?

   No regrets given

  70. Circular imports

   Alex: Essentially, we want to get it right without describing a particular
   ... I took the text from the XML spec and tweaked it a bit
   ... The algorithm in the proposed Appendix G is based on Henry's proposal.

   Norm: I'm happy with the changes to section 5, I'll need to study the
   appendix more

   Alex: The appendix is non-normative, right?

   Norm: Yes.

   <ht> HST agrees

   Richard: About the retreival URIs, if you did it naively, you might think
   that you had to go and fetch the document every time to see if its
   retreival URI winds up being the same as one you've already got.
   ... But in practice, if its literal URI is the same, you can assume its
   actual URI is the same too.

   Alex: Do we have language elsewhere about consistency of resource?

   Richard: Even if it did change, there's no gaurantee that you'll see it.

   Norm: So we should say that in section 5

   Richard: Either that, or some generral statement along the lines that Alex

   Norm: I think a general statement is probably the way to go

   <MoZ> I think we cannot avoid caching neither

   Alex: Maybe we could do a special case for import. Shouldn't we say that
   however you get a URI, the declarations will be consistent.

   <scribe> ACTION: Alex to tweak the text of of p:import [recorded in

  95. XSLT pattern matching in p:viewport

   Norm: I thought we were clear on 95, but yes we should be

   <scribe> ACTION: Norm to check the clarity of the spec [recorded in

  96. Compound steps with empty subpipelines

   Norm: Static error 27.

  97. p:set-attributes and attributes with xmlns prefix

   Richard: Namespaces don't appear in the attributes property in the infoset

   Alex: I think we should allow users to set xmlns: attributes.
   ... Namespace fixup will correct user errors.

   Richard: I don't think so.
   ... Namespaces aren't attributes as far as the infoset is concerned.

   Alex: I think p:add-attribute could add namespaces.

   Richard: Bad. Bad. Bad.

   Henry: Here's the question: can you use xsl:attribute to add a namespace

   Norm: No.

   Henry: Right, then add-attribute shouldn't either.

   Alex: But you could still do it with a transform

   Henry: I think my analysis holds

   Norm: +1

   Richard: The rule should be that you can't manipulate namespaces by
   manipulating namespace attributes

   Henry: The only circumstance you need it for is when you want to create a
   prefix for a QName that you're going to use in a value

   Alex: I think add-attribute needs a modification and set-attributes needs
   a clarification.

   <scribe> ACTION: Alex to consider the attribute steps and make appropriate
   changes [recorded in

   Richard: In a sense this is already implicit in the infoset conformance

   Mohamed: I'm not sure I understand the path. The original question was do
   the namespace attributes get copied. The answer is 'no'

   Alex: Right. We're going to clarify that set-attributes doesn't copy them
   and clean up the other steps too.

  98. Typo in p:label-elements

   Norm: Yep

  99. Execution order of steps

   Alex: Event/consequence ordering is determined by the connections.

   Norm: What I recall is that if you mandated document order, then you'd
   have to make forward reference an error. But the impl can fix the order,
   so why make theuser move teh steps around?
   ... It seems an unnecessary burden on the user.

   Henry: I still don't know what he means by "do things"

   Some discussion of what ordering actually means

   Richard: I think there are straightforward cases where it's natural to
   write in the pipeline using forward references.
   ... Consider a straightforward pipeline with an XSLT step in the middle
   where the stylesheet is generated. It's natural to put the stylesheet
   generation at the end of the pipeline.
   ... Is it always possible to write pipelines without forward references?

   Norm: I think so.

   Richard: Another way to say this is that the XML syntax is just one
   representation of the pipelien. It could also be represented with a
   box-and-arrow diagram.

   Alex: We're all in agreement, right?
   ... Maybe a note?

   <scribe> ACTION: Henry to reply and close the issue [recorded in

  Any other business?

   Alex: We have comments that continue to straggle in.
   ... What is our plan?

   Norm: We're going to do another last call, as soon as that's ready we'll
   push it out
   ... Until then, I don't see any harm in looking at the comments that come

   rrsange, set logs world-visible

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Alex to consider the attribute steps and make appropriate
   changes [recorded in
   [NEW] ACTION: Alex to tweak the text of of p:import [recorded in
   [NEW] ACTION: Henry to reply and close the issue [recorded in
   [NEW] ACTION: Norm to check the clarity of the spec [recorded in
   [End of minutes]

   [1] http://www.w3.org/
   [2] http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2008/01/24-agenda
   [3] http://www.w3.org/2008/01/24-xproc-irc
   [6] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-processing-model-wg/2008Jan/0040.html
   [7] http://www.w3.org/2008/01/24-xproc-minutes.html#action01
   [8] http://www.w3.org/2008/01/24-xproc-minutes.html#action02
   [9] http://www.w3.org/2008/01/24-xproc-minutes.html#action03
   [10] http://www.w3.org/2008/01/24-xproc-minutes.html#action04
   [11] http://www.w3.org/2008/01/24-xproc-minutes.html#action03
   [12] http://www.w3.org/2008/01/24-xproc-minutes.html#action01
   [13] http://www.w3.org/2008/01/24-xproc-minutes.html#action04
   [14] http://www.w3.org/2008/01/24-xproc-minutes.html#action02
   [15] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
   [16] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

    Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl[15] version 1.133 (CVS
    $Date: 2008/01/24 18:17:19 $