Re: Circular Imports

From: Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 16:01:42 +0000 (GMT)
To: "Alex Milowski" <alex@milowski.org>, "XProc WG" <public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org>

> > >    * In section 5.10 p:import, we need to define the resolved
> > > location based on the 'href' attribute.  The 'href' attribute must
> > > be resolved against the base URI of the p:import element.  The
> > > resulting URI is the "resolved location" of the import.
> >
> > Hmm, not quite -- I think the "resolved location" is whatever your URI
> > library comes back with as the location, so that redirects and conneg
> > are allowed for.
>
> If your library processor follows redirects, it will follow them every
> time.  I still strongly believe that the resolved location should be the
> result of resolving the 'href' attribute against the base URI.  That is a
> consistent and well-defined algorithm.
>
> We shouldn't  change that as a result of some protocol interaction whose
> results may be temporary.

Ignoring transient problems, the difference is that referring to the
same thing by two names will "work" if the redirected names are used.
For example, if http://oldlocation.example/pipelib.xml redirects to
http://newlocation.example/pipelib.xml then it will work to import both
(obviously you wouldn't do this deliberately, but two libraries you
use might).

Incidentally, the resolved location according to Henry's rule is the
Base URI of the XML document.

-- RIchard