Excluding namespaces (Was: Re: XProc Minutes 7 Feb 2008)

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 21:42:33 +0000
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org

 From the minutes:
>    Richard: XSLT's mechanism is slightly more complicated than the excluded
>    prefixes; the xsl: prefix is excluded and then there's an alias that lets
>    you put it back in.

Note that even if we automatically exclude the XProc namespace, we don't
have to have namespace aliasing in XProc.

In XSLT, you need it because XSLT instructions can appear (basically)
anywhere, and if you didn't have aliasing then you couldn't know when an
XSLT element was an instruction and when it was a literal result element.

In XProc, "literal" elements are always in a <p:inline> element; XProc
elements aren't interpreted as XProc elements when they appear in a

So excluding the XProc namespace (unless the literal element actually
uses it, of course) and adding an equivalent to exclude-result-prefixes
is all we need.

Cheers,

Jeni
--