RE: unescape-markup - support for text/xml

From: <Toman_Vojtech@emc.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 05:10:24 -0400
To: <public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org>

> > > Section 7.1.25 (p:unescape markup) says:
> > >
> > > "All implementations must support the content type
> > > application/xml, and
> > > must use a standard XML parser for it. It is a dynamic error
> > > (err:XC0051) if the content-type specified is not supported by the
> > > implementation."
> > >
> > > Shouldn't the implementations be required to support also
> > text/xml and
> > > not only application/xml?
> > >

> > Three more questions:
> >
> > 1. Shouldn't it be an error if the document element
> contains anything
> > else than text content?
> > 2. What error should be reported if the unescaped content does not
> > represent well-formed XML or cannot be parsed?
> > 3. What should happen if the document element already specifies a
> > default namespace and the 'namespace' option is provided on
> > p:unescape-markup?
> >

> One more remark:
>
> I think that the sentence:
>
> "The octet-stream that results from decoding the text must be
> interpreted using the specified encoding to produce a sequence of
> Unicode characters to parse."
>
> Should read:
>
> "The octet-stream that results from decoding the text must be
> interpreted using the specified CHARSET to produce a sequence
> of Unicode
> characters to parse."

Sorry for making this thread longer and longer, but I just noticed that
the example in section 7.1.8 (p:escape-markup) is probably not entirely
correct. It says that the result of the step is:

<description>
&lt;div xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
&lt;p>This is a chunk of XHTML.&lt;/p>
&lt;/div>
</description>

but I think it should look like this:

<description>
&lt;?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
&lt;div xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
&lt;p>This is a chunk of XHTML.&lt;/p>
&lt;/div>
</description>

unless we state that 'omit-xml-declaration' is set to false in the
example.

Regards
Vojtech