Re: Serialization Analysis and Proposal

On 5/16/07, Alex Milowski <alex@milowski.org> wrote:
> Why wouldn't we use p:escape-markup (which was called p:serialize) and
> just allow it to escape the document?  We would have to add an option
> for the document element wrapper name.
>
> I've already mentioned that we need to add serialization options to
> this step anyway.

Yes, that would be a good fit. One more thing we pass is the encoding.
The pipeline author can specify an encoding as part of the
serialization options, but p:escape-markup outputs a sequence of
characters. If that sequence of characters later needs to be
transformed in sequence of bytes (which is not always the case), we
need to know the encoding. We have done this by putting the encoding
in the content type and passing the in an attribute:

<document content-type="text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1">...</document>

Alex
--
Orbeon Forms - Web 2.0 Forms for the Enterprise
http://www.orbeon.com/