Re: unescaping markup

On 5/15/07, Alessandro Vernet <avernet@orbeon.com> wrote:

> On 5/14/07, Alex Milowski <alex@milowski.org> wrote:
> > The nice thing here is that a vendor can choose to only implement
> > well-formed XML parsing as a baseline of interoperability.  In that
> > case they can safely ignore the "content-type" option.
>
> I think we all agree on what the feature would do. The discussion
> seems to be centered now on how it would be triggered. I understand
> Norm's proposal: essentially using a "flag" (e.g. option passed to the
> step that tells the component if yes or no TagSoup or similar should
> be used). But Alex, how would this work with a content type? I
> understand that for HTML, the component would use TagSoup or similar
> when the content type is text/html and won't when it is
> application/xhtml+xml. But:
>
> 1) What would the behavior with other XHTML media types (say text/xml)?

text/xml is an XML media type and should be parsed as XML.

2) What are the appropriate content types to use for other types of
> documents to trigger vs. not trigger this behavior?

Using media types allows vendors to specify content handling behavior
using specialized media types or  unregistered types (e.g.
"application/x-goop"
or "application/vnd-random-stuff")