Re: Options or parameters

On 5/4/07, Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com> wrote:
> I don't think we should extend the assumption that unknown parameters
> will be silently ignored to all components, just because XSLT does it.
> Given that, I do think we need a method to explicitly pass only a subset
> of the parameters passed into a pipeline on into a step (ie
> <xsl:import-parameters>).
>
> As far as parameter declarations go, as Alessandro says, I think that
> the vast majority of pipelines won't accept arbitrary parameters.
> Identifying those that do might stop unnecessary information from being
> passed between pipelines. Those pipelines that do accept arbitrary
> parameters may well use namespaces to distinguish between parameters
> targetted at different components,and as such I think it is useful for
> components to declare at least the namespaces of the parameters that
> they accept, to aid error reporting.

I agree.

I am just on the fence regarding the <xsl:import-parameters>. It
wouldn't be useful in all the use cases I have in mind. I am also
wondering if this construct doesn't encourage bad design. But at the
end of the day I won't loose any sleep if we have a
<xsl:import-parameters> in the language.

Alex
--
Orbeon Forms - Web 2.0 Forms for the Enterprise
http://www.orbeon.com/