Re: Pipeline state variables to expose

On 5/3/07, Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> I think we need to expose all the following to access from XPath
> expressions inside pipelines:
>
> 1) An implementation-defined string which is unique per pipeline
>     evaluation episode (think $$ in UN*X shells);
>
> 2) A 1-origin index of the position of the current document in a
>     document sequence;
>
> 3) A 1-origin indicator of the iteration number.
>
> I tend to prefer doing this via variables, because they feel easier to
> me to interface to an XPath implementation from outside, but I don't
> feel really strongly.
>
> If variables, then something like:
>
> p:episode, p:position and p:[stepname]_index.
>
> If functions, then
>
> p:episode(), p:position() and p:index(stepname).

I'm fine with episode and position
but have no clue of the behaviour of p:[stepname]_index :
1) when [stepname] doesn't exist in the current pipeline ? or is out of
scope ?
2) when [stepname] has not yet been executed ?
3) when [stepname] has already been finished ?
4) when steps are executed in parallel in separated thread ?

Mohamed