Re: In-scope namespaces and parameter values

On 3/12/07, Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com> wrote:

> Norm,
>
> Norman Walsh wrote:
> > On the last call, Alex asked about making sure that the in-scope
> > namespaces were kept with each p:parameter so that it would be
> > possible for steps to interpret QNames in values correctly.
> >
> > I can't think of a good way to make this work.
> >
> > In particular, I don't know of any APIs that allow you to do this.
> >
> > Consider

> > Does anyone know of an XSLT engine which accepts a set of parameters
> > with different in-scope namespaces for each parameter?
>
> I think we have a problem here, but I don't think this is it. The XSLT
> (2.0) *component* needs to know the in-scope namespaces so that it can
> interpret *options* such as initial-mode/initial-template QNames
> correctly and pass both namespace URI and local name to the XSLT
> processor. But the XSLT (2.0) *processor* itself doesn't get passed
> in-scope namespaces: the values of *parameters* are just strings.

I think we stop at the level where the XProc processor has the
QName value (with a possible prefix) and supplies the appropriate
in-scope namespaces.  That is the component and it uses
that pair to evaluate a XML name--which is a namespace name
and local name pair.  At that point, it has everything it needs
to configure an implementation technology (e.g. Saxon 8's XSLT
2.0 engine).

Our component terminology might be a little bit confusing in
that there typically is a "configuration wrapper" layer that
takes the information provided by the XProc processor and
configures an actual implementation technology.  In the
case of XSLT 2.0, it would be instantiating and configuring
the XSLT engine and transformation.