Re: Defaulting and syntactic shortcuts

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 07:59:58 +0100
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org

> 1. Why not allow AVTs in option/parameter values? This would,
>    arguably, simplify the language. It would increase the value of the
>    attribute syntax shortcut for option values and allow us to get rid
>    of the distinction between @value and @select on p:parameter and
>    p:option. (What is currently done with @select could be done with
>    an AVT in @value.)

I'm strongly in favour of having AVTs at some point.

There is an argument for doing this now, because having AVTs would mean
there was no need for a select attribute. If we intend to introduce AVTs
at some point, that would leave us with a deprecated attribute. And
deprecated elements/attributes are a pain.

The other conveniences wouldn't lead to any deprecation (since they're
just syntactic shorthands), and I don't see a requirement to do them
immediately, if ever.

Cheers,

Jeni
--