Re: p:add-xml-base-attributes

On 7/17/07, Alessandro Vernet <avernet@orbeon.com> wrote:

> On 7/17/07, Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> wrote:
> > Jeni proposes[1]:
> >
> > This doesn't help when I don't know what the base URI of the document
> > is in the first place. I think we should have a step that annotates a
> > document with suitable xml:base attributes:
> > [...]
>
> Instead of adding a new component for this, wouldn't it be good enough
> to use XSLT to add the xml:base?

In XSLT 2.0, yes.  The problem is that you can't do it very efficiently in
XSLT as you'd have to load the whole document.

This can be done efficiently as a streaming step.

I'd modify the semantics so that we achieve the minimum number of
xml:base attributes to expose the base URI.

In the cause of a single document from a  single source (no entities or
includes), that'd be a single xml:base attribute on the document element.