Re: parameters and pipelines

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 13:03:20 -0400
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org
/ "Innovimax SARL" <innovimax@gmail.com> was heard to say:
| Ok so, in that case, since the behaviour of p:input and p:input
| kind="parameter" are different, I would argue to mandate the kind
| attribute to notice visually the difference

I think that's an unreasonable burden on users.

Very few steps have parameter inputs. The three that do have parameter
inputs named "parameters". It would seem pointless to require users to
type:

every time they want to use parameters on XSLT, XSLT 2.0, or XQuery.

It's true that pipelines (and implementatoin-defined steps) can have
parameter input ports with arbitrary names, but I think the likelihood
of any confusion is small and the burden of putting the kind on every
use is large.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | It is not impossibilities which fill us
http://nwalsh.com/            | with the deepest despair, but