Re: XSLT Component

From: Alessandro Vernet <avernet@orbeon.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 23:46:16 -0800
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg <public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org>

On 1/31/07, Alex Milowski <alex@milowski.org> wrote:
> All of the specified parameters are made available to the XSLT processor.
> This includes any parameters used by this component (e.g. [p:]mode).

Parameters in XProc are strings.
Parameters in XSLT 2.0 can be more than strings. You can write:

Moreover, if you define a parameter like this, the XSLT 2.0
specification is saying "The mechanism by which the caller supplies a
value for a stylesheet parameter is implementation-defined.  An XSLT
processor must provide such a mechanism."

If we want to have an XSLT 2.0 component (or to enable one to
implement one if it is not part of the standard component library),
then we must provide a way to pass a value for parameters that are
more than a string.

Either we need to revisit the "parameters are strings" restriction, or
figure out some other way to pass parameters to an XSLT 2.0 component.
It seems to me that using XDM for parameters goes a long way towards
solving this issue.

Alex
--
Orbeon Forms - Web Forms for the Enterprise, Done the Right Way
http://www.orbeon.com/