Re: XProc Editors Draft 2007-07-19: Section 2.7 Comments

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 13:06:59 -0400
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org
/ Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com> was heard to say:
| In the definition of the inherited environment, the discussion of
| options works for pipelines, but the definitions of readable
| ports/default readable port doesn't. (But maybe that's because
| pipelines aren't actually compound steps?)

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

| I think that the readable ports in the inherited environment have to
| include the specified ports on the container step.

Yes. I think the following item needs to be added to the bulleted list
of standard modifications:

<listitem>
<para>The declared inputs of the container are added to the
<para>In other words, contained steps can see the inputs to their
container.</para>
</listitem>

| And if there's not a preceding sibling step element, the default
| readable port is the primary input port of the container step, or the
| environment of the container step.

Yes, I think that's right too:

<listitem>
the <glossterm>default readable port</glossterm> is the
<glossterm>primary input port</glossterm> of the container, if it has one,
otherwise the default readable port is unchanged.</para>
</listitem>

| If pipelines aren't classed as compound steps, then there ought to be
| a separate section in here that explicitly specifies the environment
| of a pipeline.

I think pipelines are compound steps.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Yeah, we could do that, but it would
http://nwalsh.com/            | open Pandora's can of worms.--Terry