Re: Option or parameter?

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 16:29:08 -0400
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org
/ Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com> was heard to say:
| I just find the distinction between arguments that are known in
| advance and arguments that aren't known in advance much clearer than
| trying to work out whether an argument is used *to*configure* a step
| or used *by* a step.

To recap:

- Options are what you pass to a pipeline, they're in the environment,
  they can be shadowed, and you can refer to them with XPath
  expressions (i.e., $option). Basically, they're what parameters are
  in the current draft. :-)

- You can also pass parameters to a pipeline, but the pipeline author
  isn't expected to know the names of the pipelines in advance. You
  can't refer to them with XPath expressions, $param is an error.

Should they be passed around like options, in the environment, capable
of being scoped, etc?

I think I'm just about convinced.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Whatever else we are intended to do, we
http://nwalsh.com/            | are not intended to succeed: failure is