select vs match

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 13:58:07 -0400
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org
As long as we're going to have both select expressions and match
expressions, I think we need to have a consistent explanation for why
one is used rather than the other.

I propose that any step which processes only the selected part(s) of a
document (e.g., for-each or select on p:input), discarding the
non-matched parts, should use 'select' and a select expression.

Any step (e.g., viewport, insert, or delete) which copies an entire
document, operating on only selected parts of it, should use 'match'
and a match expression.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | I respect faith, but doubt is what gets
http://nwalsh.com/            | you an education.--Wilson Mizner