p:viewport vs. p:delete

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 11:10:35 -0400
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org
The description of p:delete currently reads:

  The Delete step deletes the matching items from the document on input
  port 'source' and outputs the results to the output port 'result'. The
  matching items are specified via an XPath in the option named
  'target'.

Is the 'target' XPath expression a select expression or a match pattern?

If it's a select expression, why is it different from viewport? It seems
to me if I've had a viewport that replaces all "h:div[@class='informal']"
with something else and now I decide I want to simply delete those h:divs,
I should be able to use the same pattern.

If it's a match pattern, how many other standard components use match
patterns?

Perhaps the option should be named either 'select' or 'match' so that
it's clear which kind of expression is intended.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Reality is what refuses to go away when
http://nwalsh.com/            | I stop believing in it.--Philip K. Dick