Re: Implementing viewport

From: Alessandro Vernet <avernet@orbeon.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 13:55:01 -0700
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg <public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org>

> The problem is that there are off-the-shelf libraries for evaluating
> XPath select expressions, but not AFAICT, for evaluating match
> expressions.
> So the implementation burden of viewport seems much higher than the
> other components.

I am in favor of revisiting the decision we made, for the following reasons:

* Ease of implementation, as mentioned by Norm.
* Ease of use for the pipeline author: people are IMHO more familiar
with XPath expressions than match expressions.
* Using XPath expression does not prevent pipeline authors from doing
anything they can do now with match expressions.

Orbeon Forms - Web 2.0 Forms for the Enterprise