Diagrams as input to discussion on graph models

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 14:09:32 +0100
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org
I've been thinking a lot about the graph model question, and have been
doodling in Inkscape as a way of thinking about this.

Attached find three pictures, in editable (svg) and non-editable (png)
versions.

There's a graphical reflection of my comment about the semantics of
our graphs: "Evaluation of a subpipeline evaluates every component in
it exactly once, and a document (sequence) flows down every (grey)
pipe in it exactly once".  Dotted lines are magic -- they have
different semantics depending on the kind of construct they're in.

fig2 is a careful version of Figure 2 from the WD.  The dotted lines
are contingent, that is, they may or may not see data flow.

fig1a is a simple for-each example, taking Figure 1 in the WD and
embedding it in a for-each.  Here the top dotted line iterates over
all the docs in the sequence input to the for-each, and the bottom
dotted line assembles the single outputs of each evaluation of the
XInclude/Valide subpipeline and outputs them as a document sequence on
the for-each output.

fig1b is the one I find most interesting -- the new (left hand) dotted
line _repeatedly_ flows its input to the 'schema' port of the Validate
step.  The other two are as for fig1a.

ht

                     Half-time member of W3C Team
            Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk

choose pipeline, frozen
(image/png attachment: fig2.png)

for-each pipeline, static schema, frozen
(image/png attachment: fig1a.png)

for-each pipeline, computed schema, frozen
(image/png attachment: fig1b.png)