RE: Proposal: replace here documents with a component

From: Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:52:25 +0100 (BST)
To: "Grosso, Paul" <pgrosso@ptc.com>, <public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org>

> I am strongly in favor of Norm's thoughts here,
> and it sounds like Richard and Henry are too.

I (and Henry) have always been in favour of basing the language on a
minimal set of constructs.  At times we've talked about a core
language and a more complicated language which provides syntactic
sugar on top of the core, but that wasn't universally popular and I'm
quite happy with a core *semantics* on to which the syntactic
constructs are mapped.

So on the one hand I'm not so concerned about what the syntax, but on
the other I would go further than Norm: we don't need anything special
at all for here documents, so long as we have a URI-reading component.
A here document is equivalent to having a separate document containing
the here document, and using the URI-reading component to connect it
to the port.

-- Richard