Re: Standard Component Descriptions

From: Alex Milowski <alex@milowski.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 08:15:37 -0800
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg <public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org>

Alessandro Vernet wrote:

>> Some queries can be represented by single XML elements.  But to do
>> this for every XQuery, we'll need an input wrapper element that the
>> component understands.  That could also be a place to put
>> query controls.
>
> What would you think of using the "Trivial Embedding of XQuery" of XQueryX?
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xqueryx/#TrivialEmbedding

That would require escaping literal elements in the query.  I don't
see that as a good thing.

Personally, I don't understand why we can't have a standard
representation that wraps a query with XML but allows:

    * the "normal" query syntax (i.e. no expansion into
      xml)
    * literal elements just as literal elements!

It would be nice to have XQuery solve this for us.

I suppose we should have an XQuery component that understands XQueryX.
Then the trivial embedding would be perfectly legal.

You'd probably want to use an XML pipeline with an escape step
to manage the query input because replacing all the '<' and '&' will
be problematic.  :)