Re: Match Pattern Proposal

From: Alessandro Vernet <avernet@orbeon.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 17:29:19 -0800
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg <public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org>

On 10/31/06, Alex Milowski <alex@milowski.org> wrote:
> 1. The XPath expressions on inputs via the 'select' attribute are
>     restricted to match patterns.  Since we said we're sticking with
>     XPath 1.0, we probably want XSLT 1.0 match patterns.

Alex,

There is just one thing that bothers me with XSLT patterns: reusable
libraries that implement XSLT patterns are hard to come by, unlike
implementations of XPath. If an XSLT pattern implementation is not
available on a given platform, that means you need to implement your
own XSLT patterns code in order to write an XProc implementation.
Isn't that be too much of a burden on the implementation author?

On the other hand we can say that those are just XPath expressions. An
implementation can recognize the most common forms of expressions and
run its own streaming code for those. If it can't recognize the form
of an expression, it then uses an off-the-shelf XPath implementation.

Alex
--
Blog (XML, Web apps, Open Source):
http://www.orbeon.com/blog/