Re: Variables/Parameters and Scoping

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 12:10:25 +0100
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org

Hi Alex,

Alex Milowski wrote:
> In my mind, parameters and "variables" are the same
> thing.

In my mind, parameters have the semantic that a value is passed in from
outside the containing construct (and a default is specified for when
the value isn't passed), whereas variable values cannot be overridden
from outside. I think it's useful to be able to make the distinction
because it highlights to users which "variables" should be set when
calling the construct and which are private within the construct and
therefore shouldn't be meddled with.

Cheers,

Jeni
--