Re: Syntax and semantics

> - Unlike other components, the p:output of a component can refer to
>   the subpipeline's p:output element by reference.

Norm,

What you describe here is what we have done initially in XPL (and what
we still have in the current implementation). Then when we wrote the
XPL Draft, we thought that instead of making a reference to the
pipeline output on the step output that "returns" a result, you could
assign a label to that output, just like you do for any other step
output, and make a reference to that label from the pipeline output.
So instead of:

    <!-- ... -->

    <!-- Processor producing pipeline output -->

You would have:

    <!-- ... -->

    <!-- Processor producing pipeline output -->

This way you have a symmetry between pipelines inputs/outputs and
steps inputs/outputs: for a pipeline there is label on the inputs and
a ref on the outputs, and it is exactly the other way around for a
step (ref on the input and label on the output).

Pipeline inputs/outputs:
http://www.w3.org/Submission/xpl/#d1056e715
Step inputs/outputs (called processor in XPL):
http://www.w3.org/Submission/xpl/#processor-module

Alex
--
Blog (XML, Web apps, Open Source):