Re: Naming ports vs. naming documents

From: Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 14:24:49 +0100 (BST)
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org

> The name can be passed in to the second component by whatever
> mechanism we use for passing parameters, providing we have some
> sort of variables in the pipeline.

An alternative occurs to me, which is to have a mechanism for getting
the output of one component into another component's parameter.  I
think this has been suggested before; it corresponds to the unix
shell's backquote syntax.

Then we could have a "temporary file" component that consumes an XML
file and outputs (wrapped in a trivial document) a generated URI in
which it has stored it.  In the XSLT import example, this would be
connected to a parameter of the stylesheet.

This solves the synchronisation problem as well, if the temporary file
component did not output the name until it had stored the document.

-- Richard