Re: Pipe/Flow Example

From: Alessandro Vernet <avernet@orbeon.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 23:55:42 -0700
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org

On 6/8/06, Alex Milowski <alex@milowski.org> wrote:
> <pipe>
>  [...]

Alex,

Would it be fair to say that the <pipe> construct is in design
orthogonal to the rest of the language? This is to say that it would
be possible automatically transform a pipeline/flow that uses the
<pipe> construct into a pipeline/flow that does not use the <pipe>
construct.

For instance, using your syntax, your example (I just added here an
output with a primary="true" for symmetry):

    <pipe>
        <input name="in.document" primary="true"/>
        <input name="in.schema"/>
        <input name="in.stylesheet"/>
        <output name="out.transformed" primary="true"/>
        <step name="validate">
            <input name="schema" ref="in.document"/>
        </step>
        <step name="xslt">
            <input name="stylesheet" ref="in.stylesheet"/>
        </step>
    </pipe>

could be written using the full syntax as:

    <flow>
        <input name="in.document"/>
        <input name="in.schema"/>
        <input name="in.stylesheet"/>
        <output name="out.transformed"/>
        <step name="validate">
            <input ref="in.document"/>
            <input name="schema" ref="in.document"/>
            <output label="validated"/>
        </step>
        <step name="xslt">
            <input ref="validated"/>
            <input name="stylesheet" ref="in.stylesheet"/>
            <output ref="out.transformed"/>
        </step>
    </flow>

If the <pipe> construct is syntactic sugar that we can add on top of a
full syntax, however useful it is, my take is that should focus our
effort first on a "full" or "non-abbreviated" syntax, before we tackle
the <pipe> construct.

Alex
--
Blog (XML, Web apps, Open Source):