Re: What is passed between processes?

From: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 19:06:01 +0100
Cc: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org
To: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>

On Jan 10, 2006, at 18:51, Norman Walsh wrote:
> To the extent possible, I'd like the exact representation passed
> between processes to be an implementation detail. On the one hand, I
> think we'll get a lot of pushback if an implmentation that passes SAX
> events between components can't be conformant to our spec. On the
> other, implementations built around XPath2/XSLT2/XQuery are obviously
> going to want to pass XDM instances around and I want those to be
> conformant too.

Could this be addressed by requiring each component to specify its
preferred input and output types (sax, dom, xdm, xml, exi, etc. --
with a requirement on all components to accept "xml") and coming up
with a simple algorithm to pick the best input/output match at each
junction (possibly also requiring that the implementation should
provide at least certain adapters)?

This makes it an implementation detail, but one for which preferences
can be expressed where components need to interoperate.

--
Robin Berjon
    Senior Research Scientist