Re: Requirements Document Updated

From: Alessandro Vernet <avernet@orbeon.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 18:53:56 -0800
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org

> [Definition: Parameter]
>
>   A parameter is input to a Step or an XML Pipeline in addition to the
>   Input and Output Document(s) that it may access. Parameters are most
>   often simple, scalar values such as integers, booleans, and URIs,
>   and they are most often named, but neither of these conditions is
>   mandatory. That is, we do not (at this time) constrain the range of
>   values a parameter may hold, nor do we (at this time) forbid a Step
>   from accepting anonymous parameters.
>
> We should also keep in mind Erik's point about keeping things simple.
> If, at the end of the day, we can describe our requirements and use
> cases without appeal to "parameters" (if they can all just be
> generalized as kinds of input to a Step or Pipeline), we can and
> should remove this term. But for the moment, it seems that several of
> us want to be able to speak about them, so let's define them.

Hi Norm, (and welcome back!)

I completely agree.

(With both your suggestion of a definition for "parameter" and the
point you make that we might end up finding a way to keep things
simple and coming up with one construct that works for both parameters
and inputs)

Alex
--
Blog (XML, Web apps, Open Source):