Notes on spec

From: Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 15:54:47 +0100 (BST)
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org

This is just a list of comments that occurred to me while reading the spec.

As well as saying that implementations must not assume that components
are functional, we should explicitly say that they must not assume that
they are side-effect free.

Does a subpipeline have to be connected?  A pipeline doesn't.

A component *has* a number of ports, which may be zero.  But it *MAY
have* an arbitrary number of parameters.  Surely it *has* a number of
parameters, which may be zero.

Did we agree that the string value of non-string parameters is used?
I remember arguing that it should be an error to use non-strings,
so that a future version could compatibly allow non-string values,
but I don't remember what we agreed.  Thinking about it now, perhaps
it's not a problem since we could require non-string parameters to
be declared as such.

"guarantee" not "gaurantee"; "available" not "avialable".

... - more when I've read the rest.

-- Richard