Re: Alternative to x!y

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 04:32:34 -0400
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org

Hi Norm,

> When I presented the XProc stuff, several folks commented that they
> didn't much like the x!y notation. I thought at least one person
> proposed a reasonable alternative. But I no longer recall what it was,
> if it even happened.
>
> Anyone else recall? Or have thoughts?

I'm not sure if it was reasonable or not, but the only suggestion I
remember was to separate the reference into different attributes. So
instead of:

you'd have something like:

This is good for validation (it's possible to put together identity
constraints on separate attributes whereas it isn't for the x!y
notation), and might lead to easy defaulting that in the usual case
means only one (or neither) of the attributes needs to be specified
(source-step defaults to the immediately preceding step, source-port to
the primary output).

On the other hand, it's a lot more verbose.

Cheers,

Jeni
--
Jeni Tennison