source/uri/here

From: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 17:18:41 -0400
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org
I think it's pretty clear what the three forms of input mean:

  <input source="x!y"/>

  <input href="some URI"/

  <input>
   <doc>a here document</doc>
  </input>

I assume that

  <declare-output source="x!result"/>

reads output from the "result" port of "x" and

  <declare-output>
   <doc>a here document</doc>
  </declare-output>

always returns the here document as its output, so

  <declare-output href="some URI"/>

does it follow that this form always returns the content of that URI?
Or is this not allowed?

Informally, we've bandied about the idea that this might mean write to
that URI, but I now think that would be very confusing.

Or have I gotten lost somewhere?

Assuming I'm not hopelessly lost, I think I favor allowing both here
documents and URIs (meaning to return that content in each case) or
neither. Allowing here documents but not URIs seems odd.