Re: Naming

From: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:36:33 -0400
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org
/ Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com> was heard to say:
[...]
| <step kind="select" name="chapters">
|   <pipe from="validated!result" to="documents" />
|   <param name="xpath" value="//chap" />
| </step>

I think this is definitely worth exploring. The one thing that bothers
me a little bit is that I think it encourages the reader to think of
pipes and steps somewhat separately. The following markup, for
example, is technically sufficient.

 <pipe from="validated!result" to="chapters!documents" />

 <step kind="select" name="chapters">
   <param name="xpath" value="//chap" />
 </step>

But I don't think it's a very friendly.

On that basis, I think I prefer a model where one end of the pipe is
somehow more permanently affixed.

| I'll try
| to make some suggestions in another mail if there's interest in taking
| this naming scheme forwards.

Yes, please!