RE: Auxiliary documents

From: Fang, Andrew <afang@ptc.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:11:12 -0400
To: "Alessandro Vernet" <avernet@orbeon.com>, <public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org>

> On 4/13/06, Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@sun.com> wrote:
> > I don't see how the constraint that order be determined before
> > execution begins impacts caching. I'm not suggesting that the
> > components have to be bolted together so that each component is
forced
> > to parse everything. I just don't want the engine to have to back
> > track to determine what component would need to be executed to
create
> > something.
>
> A constraint in the pipeline language on execution order would prevent
> caching if it mandated in the example that I mentioned in my previous
> email that XSLT Step 1 has to run before XSLT Step 2. It would prevent
> the pipeline engine for cleverly avoiding to run XSLT 1 if it already
> has its output "in cache".

Instead of having the pipeline implementation decide whether XSLT Step 1
should be run, how about have XSLT Step 1 itself decide whether it
should run the transformation and simply return a cached result if
nothing has changed from a previous run? From pipeline's point of view,
the XSLT Step 1 has to run before XSLT Step 2, but in reality, XSLT Step
1 simply returns a previous cached result. The overhead should be
minimal.

Andrew