Re: Inputs/outputs and auxiliary documents

Norman Walsh wrote:
> Alex proposes, if I understood correctly, that we can solve both of
> these problems if we make the auxiliary document relationship
> explicit:

I like this approach. However, I thought on two issues that may
difficult it:

1) Imagine the following pipeline:

If I know a priori which resources are referenced inside $doc, I may add
p:input (or p:aux-input) elements to the pipeline step. What if I don't
know these when defining the pipeline? A typical example relates to
gluing operations (as opposed to chunking operations), either
XInclude-based or doc() based (think feed aggregation).

2) Chunking: how can we identify multiple outputs from chunking
operations? Maybe referencing them on a regex-based label?

> P.S. I actually think we should just use p:input/p:output for this
> purpose. An p:input or p:output element with no name and an href
> attribute would serve the purpose and wouldn't require a new element
> name. They are, after all, inputs and outputs.

I agree. Going a bit on detail, maybe marking the main input/output is
preferred, as opposed to marking *each* auxiliar input/output.

Cheers,
Rui